The Library is for explorers!
Telescope and Binocular Lending are available at Valentine Public Library.
To expand access to STEM-related learning tools and materials, the Valentine Public Library has partnered with the Omaha Astronomical Society to circulate a Zhummell Z114 telescope for use by library patrons. Our goal is to foster scientific literacy, stimulate interest in astronomy, and provide people who have never looked through a telescope the chance to experience the excitement that comes from discovery.
The telescope is easy to use, robust, and is modified to make it more durable and patron-friendly. The telescope is of manageable size but has a relatively large optical tube. This means that the Moon and deep sky objects will show far more detail than one could see with typical “beginner” telescopes. It will provide a large field of view that allows the object to stay in the eyepiece longer.
How to Check Out the Telescope
Checking out is easy. All you need is a non-probationary VPL library card in good standing and be over the age of 19. The Library Telescope is available to library patrons ages 10 and up. Patrons 10-19 must have a parent or legal guardian sign an agreement form to check out the Library Telescope. The Telescope must be returned to the Valentine Public Library during the Library’s operating hours and may be borrowed for one week.
At check out, you will receive a kit that includes:
- Guide to the Stars Wheel
- Night Sky of North America
- The Moon Folding Pocket Guide
- The Night Sky Folding Pocket Guide
- National Audubon Society Pocket Guide to Constellations
- Red LED flashlight
We are always happy to answer any questions you may have on using or borrowing the telescope, and encourage its use.
Now you can check out a Vortex Crossfire 8×42 binoculars kit from your Valentine Public Library. These work great for star gazing or bird watching. Each binocular kit contains a pair of binoculars with a neck strap, padded protective case, instructional manual, and pamphlets on Nebraska birds.
How to Check-Out Binoculars
To check out a pair of Crossfire HD 8 x 42 binoculars you need a non-probationary VPL library card in good standing. Check out is available to library patrons ages 10 and up. Patrons 10-19 must have a parent or legal guardian sign an agreement form to check out the Library Telescope. About the binoculars:
- 8x magnification & 42mm objective lenses, these Diamondback HD binos are optimized with select glass elements to deliver exceptional resolution, cut chromatic aberration, and provide outstanding color fidelity, sharpness, and light transmission.
- Fully multi-coated lenses increase light transmission with anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces. Dielectric coating provides bright, clear, color-accurate images. Armortek coating protects exterior lenses from scratches, oil, and dirt.
- Adjustable eyecups twist up and down for comfortable viewing with or without eyeglasses. The center focus wheel adjusts the focus of both binocular barrels at the same time. The diopter (located on the right eyepiece) adjusts for differences in a user’s eyes
- Rubber armor provides a secure, non-slip grip, and durable external protection. Binoculars are tripod adaptable allowing use on a tripod or car window mount.
- Argon purging and o-ring seals provide water and fogproof performance in all environments. Rugged construction withstands recoil and impact. Includes GlassPak harness.