Mission
The mission of the Valentine Public Library is to connect our patrons with information and with each other. We promote literacy, preserve our history, and provide services, collections and technological opportunities for all ages.
The Valentine Public Library’s Mission Statement is anchored by the following
assumptions:
- A responsibility to offer Library service to everyone;
- The City of Valentine’s commitment to a public library;
- The commitment of Cherry County to a public library that will serve the citizenry
outside the city limits. - A responsiveness to and an awareness of community needs;
- Cooperative efforts with other city departments and other agencies;
- Commitment to intellectual freedom for all.
History
The history of the Valentine Public Library begins with a dedicated group of women from the P.E.O. Chapter CA who in 1920 dreamed of bringing a public library to the community. Inspired by Sylvia Quigley during her term as president, the chapter formed a committee and worked with Cherry County officials to find a location. Through fundraising events—including a three-act comedy called The Trials of a Hostess they raised money to purchase books. By April 1921, their efforts paid off as the library opened its doors in a small room within the original Cherry County Courthouse. Though modest in size, the library quickly became a beloved community resource with a growing collection and limited hours on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
By the mid-1920s, the library had outgrown its original space and was relocated to the courthouse basement. Volunteers from the P.E.O. and courthouse staff worked together to expand shelving and services. Over the years, the library collection expanded from 500 to over 4,300 books, all thanks to ongoing support from the P.E.O. Chapter CA and the dedication of volunteer librarians such as Emma Sheldon. In 1936, the library transitioned from a volunteer-run project to a municipal institution under the City of Valentine, moving into a newly constructed City Hall building by 1938. The upstairs space in City Hall marked a new chapter for the library, with expanded hours and increased visibility in the community.
Decades later, the need for a modern facility sparked renewed efforts to find a more suitable location. After considering several options—including remodeling the old Methodist church—plans for a new building began to take shape in 1965. Federal funding through the Library Services and Construction Act helped bring the project to life. Construction began in 1967, and by August 11, 1968, the Valentine Public Library officially opened in its current location at 324 N Main Street. The spacious new building welcomed eager readers, with over 3,000 books checked out in the first 15 days. From a single shelf of donated books to a thriving public institution, the library’s history is a testament to community vision, persistence, and the power of shared knowledge.